Technology Corner (Anything Technical)

edited December 1969 in GENERAL CHAT
Just had a nice surprise from HP. They have been 'threatening' me for three months to provide a driver for my Hp printer on Windows 8. It has just been released!

HP 1020 series incl. 1022, etc.

Surprising also is how you can live without a printer for three months!

My trips to the post office are no more!

Comments

• I've lived without colour printing for years now as the colour cart kept clogging up through lack of use.
    My HP 970Cxi must be 10 years old and still going strong. Maybe it can even survive that curse of death. It seems more rugged than the flimsy new stuff, but it cost ?270 back then so I need to get my moneysworth from it.
    Pattern carts are about ?3 and last for ages in draft mode.

I was disappointed I couldn't get my dot matrix to work with a USB to parallel cable though.
    I have a huge stock of ribbons for it, it was fine for printing address labels.

One day I'll have another go with it. I tried everything, tried 2 different cables, read lots of websites, tried different drivers. Once the carriage moved so something got through but that's as far as I got.
  • Don't know whether this counts as technical, but have just tried creating a new product in the Toys and Games section. There are similar ones listed, but mine does not have a UPC or EAN number...does that mean I cannot create a new listing?
  • 'Borrow' a bar code from a food cupboard item ! - go for an unusual shop's own product so unlikely to have been used already .
  • 'Borrow' a bar code from a food cupboard item ! - go for an unusual shop's own product so unlikely to have been used already .

Don't think Amazon would like that - don't want to upset them...I have just emailed them and asked them nicely, I will wait for their reply. Edited to add: Didn't like their reply, so reached for the dried risotto...was going to use my favourite mushroom soup but that seems to be a fleecy gilet LOL. x
  • Agree, it isn't really correct thing to do, but I have done it a few times with old videos that don't have bar codes, without a problem.
  • I've lived without colour printing for years now

Me too, Jim - can't afford the inks and haven't missed it at all. I am keen to have a wireless printer but our faithful old Samsung ML-1510 just keeps going and going and only needs a new cartridge about every 2 or 3 years so I am not about to change it. It will probably outlive me and dance at my funeral!
  • I was disappointed I couldn't get my dot matrix to work with a USB to parallel cable

I miss the crisp sound of the old dot matrix as it glides across the paper.
  • I can't be without a printer.

When my trusty Canon broke down last year I had to start writing address labels etc by hand.
    I found it maddening.
    So I dashed down to PC World and bought the cheapest printer I saw - HP 1000 for ?20.

Several months on and many hundreds of labels and packing slips later it's still going strong and I'm only on the 2nd B&W cartridge.

Only downside, the cartridges cost almost as much as the printer - even when discounted on Amazon!
  • I've lived without colour printing for years now.

Me too. I've got a monochrome laser printer - and it's one of the best buys I ever made!
  • I've lived without colour printing for years now.

Me too. I've got a monochrome laser printer - and it's one of the best buys I ever made!

Yes ans so was my 1022. Glad to have it back working again really.
  • My brother was on the phone from the US with a tale of woe about Windows 8.

He runs professional stock trading software and just bought a new laptop with W8.
    After checking out various forums, it seems W8 just isn't good for business use.
  • I cannot get my printer, an HP Photosmart 4500 to scan things into the computer. It just comes up with an error message. So I did it the other way and scanned from the computer. It has worked but I've ended up with a very small photo which I just can't get to enlarge no matter what I try. Photoshop lets me put in the dimensions but then when it save, the picture is still tiny. Has anybody got any ideas about how I could do this?

• absolutely superb. The photos really show how built up Manhatten is.
  • I need these

<!-- m -->http://www.motorheadphones.com/en<!-- m -->
  • My brother was on the phone from the US with a tale of woe about Windows 8.

He runs professional stock trading software and just bought a new laptop with W8.
    After checking out various forums, it seems W8 just isn't good for business use.

I could have told him that!

I have just deleted over 64,000 temporary files. It seems Windows * retains them! Stupid.
  • I cannot get my printer, an HP Photosmart 4500 to scan things into the computer. It just comes up with an error message. So I did it the other way and scanned from the computer. It has worked but I've ended up with a very small photo which I just can't get to enlarge no matter what I try. Photoshop lets me put in the dimensions but then when it save, the picture is still tiny. Has anybody got any ideas about how I could do this?

Need the error code to assist further.

Need the error code to assist further.

There is no code. Just this message:

Scan error. Try to scan from the computer.

This works but the picture is then stored on computer asa jpeg and is very small. Whatever I try, I can't make it bigger.
  • There is no code. Just this message:

This works but the picture is then stored on computer asa jpeg and is very small. Whatever I try, I can't make it bigger.

That does not tell us much.

What package are you using from the computer?
    Can you set the scan resolution from the computer?
    When you say small, it that after saving it?
  • There is no code. Just this message:

That does not tell us much.

What package are you using from the computer?
    Can you set the scan resolution from the computer?
    When you say small, it that after saving it?

I don't know quite what you mean by what package. I go into my computer, click on the printer, which is an HP Photosmart C4500 series. Then I just click scan and it does.(my computer is windows 7 I think. Where would I confirm this if this is what you need to know?

I can't see anywhere I can adjust the scan resolution

It is saved as a small picture and I know how to enlarge pictures but I can't do it with the ones scanned into the computer, only from pictures got from camera or off the net etc.

I'm sure you've got better things to do than try and sort this out, but thanks anyway! <!-- s:oops: -->:oops:<!-- s:oops: -->
  • What I mean is what application on the computer do you use to scan the image?
  • I haven't a clue! I just open my printer and click on scan image.
  • OK getting closer now. You should use an application like paint.net (free) and use the File/Aquire option. There you get choices for what you want to scan, etc.
  • OK getting closer now. You should use an application like paint.net (free) and use the File/Aquire option. There you get choices for what you want to scan, etc.

Ah ha, thank you! I'll try that tomorrow and see how I get on. I'll let you know back here once I've tried it. Many thanks for your help and for taking the time as i know you're really busy keeping these boards running for us all as well.

Many thanks Shaun, I found my way to paint and can see what to do now. I just need to play with it a bit to get the hang of it. I appreciate your help.
  • OK, I trust the printer in scan mode is recognised by paint.net.
  • OK, I trust the printer in scan mode is recognised by paint.net.

Yes, it seems to be. I was able to change sizes of pictures but I'm sure I can get better results more quickly if I stick at it! I just need to familiarise myself with it! <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->
  • Facebook sued over 'like' button.

<!-- m -->http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21411622<!-- m -->
  • I Hope it cripples them.

Meanwhile Dan Dare has arrived apparently:(where I first saw this idea)

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2415281,00.asp