Investing thread

edited December 1969 in GENERAL CHAT
DYOR, shares can plummet as well as fall etc.

Leyshon windmilling about all over the place today.

<!-- m -->http://www.google.com/finance?q=LON%3ALRL<!-- m -->

They found gas in China, which was pretty much a given in the area. Looks like they'll have to frack to get it although there's a glimmer of hope they might be able to flow some without stimulation. They were tipped somewhere recently again.

Comments

• Maybe you should have got out for awhile when they were over 20p. You could always buy back in then.

Barclays has done well over the last few months. I'm on an average 86% increase. They pay dividends too.
  • Almost impossible to get out at the time, they shot up, were suspended, then opened down again.

I've had some Barclays since pre-crash, almost back to evens again.

I topped up some Tullow Oil recently - looks like another bad decision.

Should have also waited before topping up on Parkmead.

At least Xcite energy has risen again.

I think I'm going to have to take some hits on some recent gambles.
  • Gosh, you all sound very high-powered and wealthy. I didn't realise I was mixing in such circles !
  • I blame Sid.
  • Which one??? Hissing or Rambling <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
  • [youtube:bs15axhq]
  • Maybe they can run the banks now!
  • Anyone know anything about the new ISA rules on stock transfers?

One ISA provider is saying they must be allowed.

<!-- m -->http://www.hl.co.uk/investment-services ... sfer-rules<!-- m -->

I have some dribs and drabs of old shares with TD Waterhouse. I'd really like to get them into an ISA I already have with TD, but the fees for a Bed-and-ISA would mean it isn't worth it.
    TD are telling me they don't offer stock transfers, but I can't find details of the rules Hargreaves Lansdown are referring to.
  • Always thought you could transfer in and out of ISA. Usually a fee, In SIPPS that can be ?25/company.

However, there may be some problem with the value with respect the annual limits?
  • Bed-and-ISA on a share means losing out on the spread as well as paying commission.

The stock transfer rules H-L refer to seem to mean the stocks would be transferred without selling & re-buying, so only a transaction fee would apply.

If I'm going to have to sell these dribs & drabs with TD I certainly wouldn't want to be buying them back again.

I was hoping I could just transfer them directly into an ISA and forget about them, maybe one of them will blossom in the future.
  • I just got the TD message, so I guess that's why you are asking the question.

It is not permitted under HMRC rules to deposit your share holdings directly into an ISA unless they have originated from an approved employee Sharesave scheme, but you can sell your existing stock holding and use the proceeds to repurchase the same shares within an ISA wrapper, a process referred to as a Bed and ISA. Both the sale and repurchase are made at the same time to limit potential price movement.

At least I know what it is now. Didn't realise the rules were so awkward and costly too.
  • I just got the TD message, so I guess that's why you are asking the question.

It is not permitted under HMRC rules to deposit your share holdings directly into an ISA unless they have originated from an approved employee Sharesave scheme, but you can sell your existing stock holding and use the proceeds to repurchase the same shares within an ISA wrapper, a process referred to as a Bed and ISA. Both the sale and repurchase are made at the same time to limit potential price movement.

At least I know what it is now. Didn't realise the rules were so awkward and costly too.

But does it have to be you who obtained them through the sharesave scheme? I inherited some of my Dad's excellently performing shares when he died and have been considering "isa-ing" them...if it's going to be costly to do so, I might be better not doing it!
  • There's also stamp duty to pay on a Bed-&-ISA.

I still can't make proper sense of the rules, but it looks like they're designed for transfers of unit trusts etc, between different providers.

I've had a look at my Hargreaves Lansdown account and it looks like shares still need to be transferred to ISA using Bed-&-ISA (there's a button to do it online) although they'll waive the commission on transfers of over ?500.
    Their wording is "we reserve the right to charge ?5 commission on share sales of less than ?500".
    Looks like that's negotiable.

I quite like Hargreaves Lansdown, they've been very helpful when I've phoned them.

They often pay bonuses for transferring to them which helps offset fees. Just don't be swayed by the free Cross pen set - it's rubbish.
  • and as it's a sell buy situation they get the spread too!
  • Takeover rumour surrounds Vodaphone. Top of the share buy/sell right now and up over 4p.
  • I recently bought a chunk of them on a dip, might have to take profits.

Bit annoyed I didn't follow a hunch and get some Sound Oil (SOU) last week.
  • I recently bought a chunk of them on a dip, might have to take profits.

Bit annoyed I didn't follow a hunch and get some Sound Oil (SOU) last week.

Seem to be on the rise again. I've had many a hunch and made many virtual millions!
  • Leyshon on the move again.
  • Are you selling?
  • I'm still in, and still showing a loss.

Afren dropped today, but I'm still up on them and only have a small holding.
  • BOR are back in favour. Risk is very much reduced. Expect a partnership/takeover quite soon now.

http://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/companies/news/52938/borders-southern-shares-spike-on-darwin-update--52938.html
  • Some info on possible development of the field.

<!-- m -->http://www.offshore.no/international/ne ... x?Id=21389<!-- m -->
  • Looks like Belfast is about to get the Aberdeen treatment over the next two decades.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/jan/24/providence-resources-antrim-coast
  • I am not bothering with the stock market: a) it's far too high (I 've been saying tyhat for three years) and b) might be riding for a fall

The OH started to have a dabble last year. He bought Rolls Royce shares, and they have just kept going up and up. I have been shouting SELL! SELL! SELL! at him like they do in the films, but he says what's the point, what would he buy in their place? I always thought that was the idea, to make a profit? I'm probably not suited to stocks and shares, no patience. <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: -->
  • Had another reply form TDW.

"Unfortunately the way Hargreaves Lansdowne have worded the link is very misleading. The new rules only refer to ISA to ISA transfers, not from a trading account. We have spoken to Hargreaves Lansdowne about this as we have had many queries and they are going to remove this from their site."
  • Had another reply form TDW.

"Unfortunately the way Hargreaves Lansdowne have worded the link is very misleading. The new rules only refer to ISA to ISA transfers, not from a trading account. We have spoken to Hargreaves Lansdowne about this as we have had many queries and they are going to remove this from their site."

I suppose that's some sort of a result.
  • I bought a copy of this to sell, but I think I'll keep it to read.

<!-- m -->http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0857191705<!-- m -->
  • Interesting director buy at Leyshon:

1 February 2013

LEYSHON RESOURCS LIMITED
    DIRECTOR / PDMR Shareholding

Leyshon Resources Limited (AIM/ASX:LRL) announces that it received notification yesterday that Paul Atherley, a director of the Company, purchased 1,800,000 Ordinary Shares at 14.91 pence per share on 25 January 2013 in AIM on-market trading.
    His resultant holding in Ordinary Shares in the Company is 31,330,000 ordinary shares representing approximately 12.56% of the total issued share capital of the Company.
  • He ought to end up a very rich person.