pet Hates

edited December 1969 in GENERAL CHAT
OK, I'm sure this sort of topic has been done to death before but a couple of silly little things are really bugging me at the moment:<br />People wandering around the streets carrying coffee in cardboard cups from Costa or Starbucks or some other trendy establishment, come to think of it I get cross with the fact that you can seemingly not just order coffee any more...<br /><br />It's twice... there seems to be a growing trend to say, rather clumsily in my opinion, two times.  There are TV ads at the moment telling us that something or other acts two times as fast or lasts two times as long.... ahggggg :96: :41:

Comments

• Two of mine are 'yous two' instead of you two and ' arks' instead of ask. That started started with the caribbeans and was a mistranslation, but now lots of teenagers use it.<br /><br />Another one is 'separate out'. Lots of TV presenters use this one.  :38:
  • anything to get a sale!. People seem unable to think for themselves, that is the problem, and it really annoys me. What people forget is we only need food, water, basic clothing and heat to be able to live, anything else is a "want". But if we went back to basics, the economy would blow up, so here we are buying crap we do not need. We would not be able to re-sell if everyone just bought what they needed though  :a102:<br />
  • on 1404975328:
    <br />OK, I'm sure this sort of topic has been done to death before but a couple of silly little things are really bugging me at the moment:<br />People wandering around the streets carrying coffee in cardboard cups from Costa or Starbucks or some other trendy establishment, come to think of it I get cross with the fact that you can seemingly not just order coffee any more...<br /><br />It's twice... there seems to be a growing trend to say, rather clumsily in my opinion, two times.  There are TV ads at the moment telling us that something or other acts two times as fast or lasts two times as long.... ahggggg :96: :41:<br />
    <br /><br />It's your age. Younger folk don't notice -- it's the air they breath. When I was young, I used to think, I'm never going to be a grumbling out-of-touch old fogey, and now I am one. I can't even write a contemporary novel; I don't know enough anymore!
  • Politicians' buzz phrases, especially "hardworking people". As I switched in the radio this morning, some pompous twat was just airing that phrase and I had to switch it off again.  :33:
  • on 1404977443:
    <br />
    on 1404975328:
    <br />OK, I'm sure this sort of topic has been done to death before but a couple of silly little things are really bugging me at the moment:<br />People wandering around the streets carrying coffee in cardboard cups from Costa or Starbucks or some other trendy establishment, come to think of it I get cross with the fact that you can seemingly not just order coffee any more...<br /><br />It's twice... there seems to be a growing trend to say, rather clumsily in my opinion, two times.  There are TV ads at the moment telling us that something or other acts two times as fast or lasts two times as long.... ahggggg :96: :41:<br />
    <br /><br />It's your age. Younger folk don't notice -- it's the air they breath. When I was young, I used to think, I'm never going to be a grumbling out-of-touch old fogey, and now I am one. I can't even write a contemporary novel; I don't know enough anymore!<br />
    <br /><br />Yes they do! My 22 year-old is practically outraged by poor spelling, and the 24 year-old has a mini wobbler when people say 'arks'. They take after me...............not sure that's a good thing......... :huh:
  • on 1404977817:
    <br />Politicians' buzz phrases, especially "hardworking people". As I switched in the radio this morning, some pompous twat was just airing that phrase and I had to switch it off again.  :33:<br />
    <br /><br />'Hardworking families,' is even worst. I can still see that ghastly Brown fellow using it -- which he did constantly -- after which he'd invariably do that thing with his tongue. Eugh!
  • on 1404978322:
    <br />
    on 1404977443:
    <br />
    on 1404975328:
    <br /><br />It's your age. Younger folk don't notice -- it's the air they breath. When I was young, I used to think, I'm never going to be a grumbling out-of-touch old fogey, and now I am one. I can't even write a contemporary novel; I don't know enough anymore!<br />
    <br /><br />Yes they do! My 22 year-old is practically outraged by poor spelling, and the 24 year-old has a mini wobbler when people say 'arks'. They take after me...............not sure that's a good thing......... :huh:<br />
    <br /><br />They've got a hard life ahead of them.
  • SO agree with you Fran about the 'yous' - "How are yous doing ?" etc.  :c002:<br /><br />Also being called 'you guys' everywhere you go, even restaurants - I am not a guy !  - trouble is, much to my annoyance, my own offspring say it - and they are in their late 20s/30s.  :38:<br /><br />Government/authorities saying "Lessons have been learnt......"<br /><br />Phone calls with automated messages telling you about government schemes, replacement window schemes, PPI etc. - and the final straw was when my (well, actually MILs) bank does an automated phone survey after EVERY visit into the branch. I happened to go into the bank to do transactions on 3 days last week, and the day after each visit I got the same call.
  • LOADS of stuff annoys me!<br />Last week a news reporter said 'bared no resemblance'<br />People who say 'you have 2 choices' then give one choice of either/or<br />'you and I' when it's you and me<br />People who emphasise the silent G in tagliatelle and say Giovanni with a posh English accent - i.e. GiovAHHnni<br />The Lexus/ballerina advert 'beauty with strength'<br />The Aptamil advert implying your baby with grow up to be a mountaineer/ballerina<br />'I was sat' - SITTING!!!<br />Brits speaking with a Jamaican accent.<br />Terrorists - get a proper job and get over yourselves you self-important pillocks!<br /><br />
  • on 1404978426:
    <br />
    on 1404978322:
    <br />
    on 1404977443:
    <br />
    on 1404975328:
    <br /><br />Yes they do! My 22 year-old is practically outraged by poor spelling, and the 24 year-old has a mini wobbler when people say 'arks'. They take after me...............not sure that's a good thing......... :huh:<br />
    <br /><br />They've got a hard life ahead of them.<br />
    <br /><br />Hehee!  :86:
  • on 1404976240:
    <br />anything to get a sale!. People seem unable to think for themselves, that is the problem, and it really annoys me. What people forget is we only need food, water, basic clothing and heat to be able to live, anything else is a "want". But if we went back to basics, the economy would blow up, so here we are buying crap we do not need. We would not be able to re-sell if everyone just bought what they needed though  :a102:<br />
    <br /><br />Trouble is Bumble that's what's happening! People may be paying way over the odds to buy a skinny espresso just to parade down the street with it but they sure as hell ain't buying crap they don't need from me!  :huh:
  • and as it's topical - football fans who CRY when their team loses. Hello - it's a GAME!
  • on 1404979923:
    <br />
    on 1404976240:
    <br />anything to get a sale!. People seem unable to think for themselves, that is the problem, and it really annoys me. What people forget is we only need food, water, basic clothing and heat to be able to live, anything else is a "want". But if we went back to basics, the economy would blow up, so here we are buying crap we do not need. We would not be able to re-sell if everyone just bought what they needed though  :a102:<br />
    :32:<br /><br />Trouble is Bumble that's what's happening! People may be paying way over the odds to buy a skinny espresso just to parade down the street with it but they sure as hell ain't buying crap they don't need from me!  :huh:<br />
    <br /><br />People who resort to using slang and poor English to make a point when they know it's wrong!
  • on 1404979923:
    <br />
    on 1404976240:
    <br /><br />Trouble is Bumble that's what's happening! People may be paying way over the odds to buy a skinny espresso just to parade down the street with it but they sure as hell ain't buying crap they don't need from me!  :huh:<br />
    <br /><br />I have been amazed at the stuff I have been selling recently that is non book related. Pester power is good (parents will pay big money if their child wants a toy), and nostalgia is a wonderful thing. As I have said before crap sells, particularly if its unique and you put a large price on it. I do prefer to deal in books, but I will buy anything that sells. Hope your sales improve though. I am looking forward to the end of summer when people start spending again in large numbers and I can get some storage space back
  • on 1404979984:
    <br />and as it's topical - football fans who CRY when their team loses. Hello - it's a GAME!<br />
    <br /><br />oh yes, that gets me too. I have been oblivious to the world cup, as I do not watch tv very much now  :1rij: :1rij: :1rij: (thought I would add a mexican wave!
  • My word, we have all got out of bed the wrong side haven't we!<br /><br />I hate that phrase!
  • Agree about phone surveys Jilly and it's not just the banks that do it. Alos:<br /><br />People who try to lend you money at vastly inflated interest rates<br />People who ring up trying to get you to claim for an accident you haven't had.<br />People who ring several numbers at once but only talk on one call, so there's no-one at the other end and you get cut off.<br /><br />I actually switched my home phone off the other day as it was going constantly with all sorts of rubbish calls.<br /><br />Edited to add: Men who walk so that their shoulders move from side to side in a swagger that they think makes them look hard but actually just that makes them look as if they've had an accident in their pants!
  • 'I was sat'  -  :38:<br /><br />In fact Angela, I agree with most of yours (maybe not all irritate me particularly - such as the G in taglietelli  - think I might be guilty of that one !)<br />Also:<br />- people writing addresses in all lower case especially postcodes;<br />- Those Websites Where They Start EVERY Word With A Capital Letter - have seen a couple of them recently,<br />- incorrect apostrophes CD's, DVD's, 1950's, your's, <br />- 'there' instead of 'their'
  • on 1404980607:
    <br />
    on 1404979984:
    <br />and as it's topical - football fans who CRY when their team loses. Hello - it's a GAME!<br />
    <br /><br />oh yes, that gets me too. I have been oblivious to the world cup, as I do not watch tv very much now  :1rij: :1rij: :1rij: (thought I would add a mexican wave!<br />
    <br />Very artistic!  :72:
  • on 1404982885:
    <br />'I was sat'  -  :38:<br /><br />In fact Angela, I agree with most of yours (maybe not all irritate me particularly - such as the G in taglietelli  - think I might be guilty of that one !)<br />Also:<br />- people writing addresses in all lower case especially postcodes;<br />- Those Websites Where They Start EVERY Word With A Capital Letter - have seen a couple of them recently,<br />- incorrect apostrophes CD's, DVD's, 1950's, your's, <br />- 'there' instead of 'their'<br />
    <br /><br />YES! Wimp. com do it, and they also say 'baby' animals; baby cow, baby horse etc> I'd unlikethem if I didn't enjoy most of their posts so much!
  • People who say Myself when they mean I or me. I always imagine the word to start with a capital letter when used thus.<br />People ( usually sports commentators ) who seem incapable of using adverbs. I spend half of my time when watching athletics shouting ..LY at the telly. It really annoys Myself and I lose my temper rapid.<br />Tattoo "sleeves"<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />ps - sorry, Angela, but I might well cry if Germany lose in the final to the Argies.  :'(<br />
  • on 1404985660:
    <br />People who say Myself when they mean I or me. I always imagine the word to start with a capital letter when used thus.<br />People ( usually sports commentators ) who seem incapable of using adverbs. I spend half of my time when watching athletics shouting ..LY at the telly. It really annoys Myself and I lose my temper rapid.<br />Tattoo "sleeves"<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />ps - sorry, Angela, but I might well cry if Germany lose in the final to the Argies.  :'(<br />
    <br /><br />ooh, YES! MYSELF sets my teeth on edge  :97: I'm fortunate to have escaped the lack of LYs up to now - probably because I avoid the sports commentators.  :smiley:<br /><br />
  • Folk have been making most of the aforesaid mistakes since God was in a babygro. The only difference now is that:<br /><br />A. There is much more scope for the ignorant to put their stuff in front of you.<br />B. The standards among those who should know better have dropped, if not plummeted, notably journalists (in all their forms).<br /><br />I blame the teechers
  • on 1404986247:
    <br />Folk have been making most of the aforesaid mistakes since God was in a babygro. The only difference now is that:<br /><br />A. There is much more scope for the ignorant to put their stuff in front of you.<br />B. The standards among those who should know better have dropped, if not plummeted, notably journalists (in all their forms).<br /><br />I blame the teechers<br />
    <br /><br />The phrase "going forward". Do they mean "in future"? <br />Actually all pretentious crapspeak drives me mad.<br /><br />Conservatories with translucent roofs. Why not just have a greenhouse?<br /><br />Kitchen islands. A pointless obstacle. I wouldn't buy a house with one unless I was planning on major renovations.<br /><br />Ovens with grills in them. Unusable. <br /><br /> :41: :38: :38:
  • When I read the e-bay board's in particular, the grammar and spelling can be (and usually is) appaulling.<br />It may be that English isn't there first language, but if your going to ask for advise at least run it threw a spellchecker because it just makes me anoid<br /><br />These are all genuine e-bay spellings, I spent several seconds looking at anoid before I worked out what they meant
  • I have had some good buys on Ebay by looking for certain spelling mistakes in titles though.  ;)<br /><br /><br />Lord Teapot wants to add his pet peeve - people pronouncing schedule as if it had a hard K sound in it.
  • on 1404988802:
    <br />I have had some good buys on Ebay by looking for certain spelling mistakes in titles though.<br />
    <br /><br />Do I remember there being a website that searches for these spelling mistakes on e-bay ?<br />I know you can pick up some bargains this way<br /><br />Just remembered, it's fatfingers
  • on 1404986926:
    <br />
    on 1404986247:
    <br />Folk have been making most of the aforesaid mistakes since God was in a babygro. The only difference now is that:<br /><br />A. There is much more scope for the ignorant to put their stuff in front of you.<br />B. The standards among those who should know better have dropped, if not plummeted, notably journalists (in all their forms).<br /><br />I blame the teechers<br />
    <br /><br /><br /><br />The phrase "going forward". Do they mean "in future"? <br />Actually all pretentious crapspeak drives me mad.<br /><br />Conservatories with translucent roofs. Why not just have a greenhouse?<br /><br />Kitchen islands. A pointless obstacle. I wouldn't buy a house with one unless I was planning on major renovations.<br /><br />Ovens with grills in them. Unusable. <br /><br /> :41: :38: :38:<br />
    <br /><br />Lorna - 'going foward' bleugh, and 'back order'. Eh? I had a Mr. Fixit recently and he said the hinges were on back order. When I asked what he meant he said he's ordered them. Pfff. <br /><br />I have an island (but if I'd had my way entirely it would have been a peninsula so you can forgive me)  :72:<br /><br />Conservatories with translucent roofs. Why not just have a greenhouse? Hahahaha!<br />
  • on 1404986926:
    <br />
    on 1404986247:
    <br /><br />The phrase "going forward". Do they mean "in future"? <br />Actually all pretentious crapspeak drives me mad.<br /><br />Conservatories with translucent roofs. Why not just have a greenhouse?<br /><br />Kitchen islands. A pointless obstacle. I wouldn't buy a house with one unless I was planning on major renovations.<br /><br />Ovens with grills in them. Unusable. <br /><br /> :41: :38: :38:<br />
    <br /><br />Ooh, great (or grate) we've got a detached conservatory.
  • The taxi driver who made a right turn in front of me from the left lane when I was in the right lane.  :41: