Vinyl

edited December 1969 in GENERAL CHAT
Thought I'd start another thread instead of clogging up other threads with vinyl ramblings.<br /><br />It's the obscure stuff I can't decide on.<br />Next in pile was this.<br /><br />http://www.discogs.com/Christian-Rough-smooth/release/6896284<br /><br />It's quite rare but doesn't seem to have any interest. Mine is signed, but so is another one on eBay cheap.<br />Luckily my mind was made up for me as mine has some scratches, so not worth listing.<br />It's the rare and sought after vinyl but not in great condition that's difficult to decide on.<br />

Comments

• The difference in pricing across sites is worse for vinyl than for books.<br /><br />Next in pile, looks like it might have some value on amazon.<br />http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00P4JW3A2/sr=1-3/qid=1447428803<br /><br />Not on discogs.<br />http://www.discogs.com/Fureys-Davey-Arthur-The-First-Leaves-Of-Autumn/release/2235468
  • I am putting all my vinyl on ebay, but that's because it is my own stuff and I have gathered that it is quite hard on Amazon.<br /><br />Just out of interest what do you clean your vinyl with? <br /><br />I have some with very minor 'use' scratches which I don't suppose are too bad and I have declared them, but some of the albums have been stored wrongly with the inner sleeve open to the open end of the cover so there are marks of what I think must be mould. How can I get rid of it or should they be condemned, or better still do some buyers have machines and happy to clean up?
  • Way back when I were a lass we used to use a gentle washing up liquid solution and a soft brush.
  • I've been looking up various ideas and although some people suggest that method others, and I presume collectors, don't like it as it can leave a residue.<br /><br />I am going to steer clear of the wood glue method too, knowing me I could get that horribly wrong!<br /><br />I guess with the really bad ones it wouldn't harm to try a gentle wash as I guess they are worthless as they are anyway.
  • You really need to play ones that look minorly scratched, sometimes it can sound a lot worse than it looks.<br /><br />A record cleaning cloth is a good start. I have tried washing spills, but they still interfered with play.<br />It really needs a proper (expensive) record cleaning machine.<br /><br />If carbooting them there's always boot polish....<br /><br />
  • on 1447438156:
    <br />If carbooting them there's always boot polish....<br />
    <br />Naughty!<br /><br />Either that or take them out on a bright sunny day - the smaller scratches are almost invisible then.<br /><br />A general rule of thumb a record dealer told me: if you can feel it with a finger nail, it's a scratch, if not, it's a surface mark...<br /><br />I've actually sold a fair bit of vinyl on Amazon this month.<br /><br />LPs are a pain to pack but singles and EPs are ok and generally go under 100g, large letter.
  • Pal o' mine, long ago, was record buff. Used to clean 'em with some sort of alcohol/detergent mix. Can't exactly remember what. He was a chem teacher. He was toying with marketing it as a 'non ionic surfactant.'
  • Amazon's vinyl catalogue is in such a mess I'm hardly listing any vinyl on it.<br /><br />If someone has added NM to the product description I don't want to risk listing anything less than NM.<br />I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain to amazon why they should change it.
  • on 1447495408:
    <br />Amazon's vinyl catalogue is in such a mess I'm hardly listing any vinyl on it.<br /><br />If someone has added NM to the product description I don't want to risk listing anything less than NM.<br />I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain to amazon why they should change it.<br />
    <br />The worst offender seems to be eil.<br /><br />They have uploaded thousands of vinyl titles but invariably use the Product Description field for their condition comments.<br /><br />It's barmy that a fairly big seller like that either doesn't know or ignores with impunity the rules...and Amazon allows them to get away with it.
  • Typical sort of thing I can't seem to request a fix for.<br /><br />http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IJYW5R0<br /><br />Stephane Grappelli?
  • on 1451909051:
    <br /><br />I want one!  thunmbsup))) Just the price tag that is too much  shockhorror
  • Wonder if it will play a crispy thin margherita?
  • I'm having another go at listing some vinyl.<br /><br />I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that it's just not worth bothering listing it on Amazon.<br /><br />Every LP I've checked so far has specific condition notes in the product description, none of which match what I have.<br />Many don't even match the details in the Amazon title.
  • Get thee to Discogs.
  • I use Discogs for checking details but haven't ventured into selling there yet.
  • I've recently had another go with vinyl & seems to be going well.<br /><br />So far I've just been cutting cardboard squares for packaging, but if I'm to sell any sort of volume I'll need to buy some packaging.<br /><br />Soundswholesale on eBay has all the options - anyone got any recommendations?<br /><br />They don't seem to list dimensions for their mailers - can anyone confirm if they're smaller than the 35cm limit for small parcels.
  • on 1474722200:
    <br />I've recently had another go with vinyl & seems to be going well.<br /><br />So far I've just been cutting cardboard squares for packaging, but if I'm to sell any sort of volume I'll need to buy some packaging.<br /><br />Soundswholesale on eBay has all the options - anyone got any recommendations?<br /><br />They don't seem to list dimensions for their mailers - can anyone confirm if they're smaller than the 35cm limit for small parcels.<br />
    <br /><br />Email them and ask - they reply quite quickly to queries imho :-)
  • Another blooming annoying thing with vinyl.<br /><br />Have quite a rare album, looks to be worth c?20.<br /><br />Playing surface visually OK.<br />Test play it - persistent crackle & skipped several times on the first track.<br /><br />I'm guessing it's been played with a bad stylus.<br /><br />
  • 3 million LPs is nothing but on behalf of the record industry I thank all those willing to plonk down £25 for a piece of coloured vinyl, the music contained therein those same folk would baulk at paying £8 for on CD. One born every minute and most of them have trendy beards.
  • It might not be long before vinyl is outselling CDs.
  • edited January 2017
    Figures are a year old and I daresay have dipped a little:

https://www.ft.com/content/b7cc252e-b3ab-11e5-b147-e5e5bba42e51

53m CD sales in 2015 so even allowing for a 10% drop to 48m, vinyl would have to convince all those same people to buy a deck and pay £20 a pop (crackle and scratch) for LPs instead of the £5-£10 they are now for CDs - Never gonna happen.

Vinyl resurgence is entirely a con perpetrated by record companies (looking to overcharge for slow shifting back-catalogue) and gullible style magazines and as a result used in movies and television to signal "cool" and trendy. I loathe and despise it and I have thousands of LPs and 12 inch singles.

Some survey done a year or so ago showing that about half the people who bought LPs now never played them, just "posed/displayed" them and a good percentage of those either did not have turntables or had ones that did not work!
  • Well I've just ordered 125 record mailers, so I hope vinyl sales go up!
  • Sony Music goes back to vinyl records

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40445192
  • edited June 2017
    As long as there are mugs willing to pay £25 for an LP that's disinterestedly haunted second-hand shops for a quid for decades then of course they'll fire up the pressing plants - Happy to part a fool from his money just because they're salivating over 180g or splatter vinyl. People won't pay even half that for a download but because Dazed and Confused and Wallpaper has told them vinyl is cool then the herd robotically complies.

It's stuff like this that makes me think maybe it would be better if the human race was wiped out and some other species could have a go.
  • There's still a perception that vinyl is truer to the original -- no compression and so on -- that was probably true in the earliest days of CDs (given a new LP on a decent deck, etc.) though not for a long time now. Still probably enough to kick-start the modern fashion though. A technological folk memory, if you like. And people like the sleeves. I think you're being a bit hard on the human race, frankly. Plenty of better reasons for a cull than that!
  • I used to design record sleeves. Back when people thought £5 for an LP was expensive. The whole Hipster Vinyl bollocks angers me, mainly because.....Where were these bastards when vinyl was dying out and I had to design CDs instead!!?!?!!? Might as well've been postage stamps for all the creative satisfaction they afforded.
  • There is an argument that because vinyl is 'analogue' it must be more natural than the digitised sound from a CD or (even more compressed) mp3 files.

That argument falls flat when the source material was itself digitally recorded (which is more often than not the case, I believe).

Even if the 'vinyl sounds better' argument is true (which I doubt) you'd need supersonic hearing and a frighteningly expensive hi-fi rig to appreciate it.