The Weather

edited May 2016 in GENERAL CHAT
We may as well have a thread about this. Talking about the weather is a British Institution.  <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D --> <br />Last night we had a thunder storm, this morning snow. How about you?

Comments

• Freezing here with a bitter wind. I have just come back from the coast and it's really cold there. It's taken me an hour to warm up! <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->
  • It has been lovely and sunny here but now there is a bitter wind and a lot of cloud.
  • snowing in lincolnshire. I was going to go and visit a couple of new charity shops today, but decided I would rather stay in and watch the snow
  • Just started snowing here, big flakes and the wind is blowing a hooley.
  • There was a bit of hailstoney snow here this morning,but it melted in the sun. it's just bitterly cold now, strong wind, and the sky looks full.
  • Well it's pouring now and all the snow has gone. At my mum's 15 miles away it's still lying on the ground. Cold wind too.I think on balance I would rather have snow for a month and then no more for a year, than all this coming and going. I tried my grippy things out that fit on my boots, and they work really well. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->
  • Yoo-ee! Having a quick check in to see how everyone is doing.

Cold and windy here in South Yorkshire with a smattering of snow still left on the rooftops and gardens. last night we had snow, thunder and lightning all at once which seemed a bit weird. The wind has been horrendous over the last few days and driving me nuts at night - I think there must be gaps in the guttering as when it's really windy it's like a VERY loud comb & cellophane paper <!-- s:evil: -->:evil:<!-- s:evil: -->
  • Snows a bit. Blows a bit. Cold. Tonight our CH had decided to go to sleep for an hour or three, which it does occasionally, so getting cold.

New boiler and its installation costs, what, ?1000? Annual maintenance costs about ?150. After six years or so (official figure) it dies. Even if nothing ever goes wrong, which it will, that's ?330 a year. How is that cheaper than electric? Does gas really save you more than ?330 a year compared with electric? I doubt it. It's not as if you've still got gas CH when the lights go out, because you ain't. Next time I'm going to research modern thermostatic electric radiators, which would probably last me the rest of my life and would never play up. If one did, I could just replace that one. You also have total control over what is heated and how much.

Discuss
  • Snows a bit. Blows a bit. Cold. Tonight our CH had decided to go to sleep for an hour or three, which it does occasionally, so getting cold.

New boiler and its installation costs, what, ?1000? Annual maintenance costs about ?150. After six years or so (official figure) it dies. Even if nothing ever goes wrong, which it will, that's ?330 a year. How is that cheaper than electric? Does gas really save you more than ?330 a year compared with electric? I doubt it. It's not as if you've still got gas CH when the lights go out, because you ain't. Next time I'm going to research modern thermostatic electric radiators, which would probably last me the rest of my life and would never play up. If one did, I could just replace that one. You also have total control over what is heated and how much.

Discuss

sounds interesting. I have my boiler covered by british gas, I had it installed 8 years ago.It cost me approx ?2000 to buy and install. Every year my payments for homecare increase as I have to call them out at least three times a year. An electric heating system would possibly be cheaper to run. If you find out the cost it would be interesting to compare
  • Reminds me I really must get my 'new' boiler serviced.
  • Hi Angela, looks like we had similar weather overnight, but rain has washed away all traces of snow here. Never mind, it will soon be spring and time to go to the Milford. <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->
  • Looks like the snow is back again ( by popular demand??) at the weekend for many of us.
  • only light showers for me, but the wind makes it biting cold.
  • Been snow lying here all week. Not much, but my lawn has been mostly white all week.
  • Been snow lying here all week. Not much, but my lawn has been mostly white all week.

Wife ripped the greenhouse door from its moorings this morning so I've been out in the cold 'repairing' it. Foundations seem to have sunk a bit and I ought really to rebuild the whole thing. Dammit, it's only eighteen years old. Now looking a bit grim over Will's mothers and rain forecast. Got new neighbours both sides now -- second lot having moved in today. More small children. Still, better than some miserable old curmugeon worrying about tree roots.
  • Quite a lot of snow in Aberdeen this morning.
  • I have noticed the temperature has plummeted here today, hope the snow stays your side of the border.
    <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->
  • It is snowing here and had already started when we got up at about 7.30. Settling on the grass and buildings but the road is too wet - think it must have started as rain before turning to snow. The dog has gone back to bed and I am thinking of joining him!
  • I think you are on the eastern side aren't you? I am keeping my fingers crossed then here on the western side. I have the mother of all colds at the moment so at the first flake of snow I will be back under the duvet.
  • Yep I am on the Cambs/Northants border. Still snowing here but it is a bit wet and not really settling much. Quite a nasty nip in the air though, glad we are staying in today. Hope your cold doesn't get too bad - they are cured best to a bit of tlc and pampering I find <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

I was expecting a dusting at most today...instead we've nearly two inches! Thankfully there is some warmth in the sun that's appearing between blizzards, so it is starting to melt too. I'm working this evening too...may have to leave home earlier than planned!

I was expecting a dusting at most today...instead we've nearly two inches! Thankfully there is some warmth in the sun that's appearing between blizzards, so it is starting to melt too. I'm working this evening too...may have to leave home earlier than planned!

I had to put a pullover on before sorting out the dustbins <!-- s:-( -->:-(<!-- s:-( -->
  • Have you seen the forecast for your area?
  • I had to put a pullover on before sorting out the dustbins <!-- s:-( -->:-(<!-- s:-( -->

Hope that wasn't ALL you were wearing!
  • Who's area jim? You can't tell who is answering who on these boards. If you mean Manchester it is not forecast to snow.
  • Who's area jim? You can't tell who is answering who on these boards. If you mean Manchester it is not forecast to snow.

The last forecast I saw showed a band of heavy snow along Barry's south coast area.
  • Ah right. Poor Barry will need more than just his pullover then. <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->
  • Ah right. Poor Barry will need more than just his pullover then. <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->

Yes, and I hope he isn't lingering by them bins. <!-- s:o -->:o<!-- s:o -->
    The sky is looking ominous here and it's like a stepmother's breath out there.
    <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
    <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
  • This is how I imagine him to look:
    annex-grant-cary_25_zpse118648c.jpg