Websites for booking flights?

edited December 1969 in GENERAL CHAT
Any recommendations for websites for booking flights?<br /><br />I'm off to Seattle at the end of November, so need to start planning.<br /><br />A quick Google found Skyscanner, looks easy enough to find what I'm looking for.<br /><br />Seems to be about ?650 for ABZ to SEA. Does that sound reasonable?<br /><br />BA with one stop at Heathrow isn't much more expensive than cheaper options with foreign stops.

Comments

• Yes, Skyscanner is good and it also helps you find the cheapest days - you can filter to get a month's view and it shows it like a graph.<br /><br />Also try Flight Centre.<br /><br />....but be warned - quite often you can see a cheap flight, but then if you go back to the same site the next day it has gone up, so if you do see a good deal, snap it up !<br /><br />When my nephew went to NZ, they found it cheaper to go from Manchester to Dublin and then on to NZ. <br />You might find the same for Seattle, going via Dublin - worth checking it out.
  • That sounds quite a good deal Jim. Skyscanner are good. My son uses them. I've had a quick look on a couple of sites, last minute.com etc bug they all come up as ?725 and more.<br />,
  • My niece flew via Dublin last time she was here, the Aberdeen flights can go through there too.<br /><br />I don't know the exact dates yet, as I'm waiting to hear if my brother can get a visa for his wife, as that'll affect things.<br />I'm going to his son's (my nephew's) wedding.<br /><br />First time I'll have been abroad in about 20 years, so much to worry about.
  • How exciting Jim - don't worry, enjoy !<br /><br />I think using Dublin can be cheaper, especially if your local airport flies there.
  • It must be a bit worrying but try not to Jim. It's a great excuse to see a bit of the world and Seattle is meant to be a lovely place. Just push the niggly worries to the back of your mind and concentrate on the adventure!
  • Go for it Jim. You only live once. X
  • My brother reckons Heathrow is the worst choice for a stop, he said it's the worst airport he's seen for difficulty in finding his way about.<br /><br />I've been playing about with dates on Skyscanner & it seems lots of options are well under ?500.<br /><br />The cheapest are 6am from Aberdeen - not too keen on that.<br />Actually, might not be so bad, check-in must be almost late night before rather than early morning.<br /><br />KLM seem to be cheapest.
  • If you can avoid Heathrow would be good.<br />Problem is if you have to change terminals, but have to say we found it all very well signed when going to NZ.<br /><br />Have also heard of people flying to Schipol (?sp) to then go west - a bit like Dublin.
  • Amsterdam & Charles de Gaulle are the 2 common stops I'm seeing.<br /><br />The actual buying of tickets seems another obstacle to negotiate.<br />Omegaflightstore is usually cheapest but has a lot of bad reports.<br />Lots of extra charges to watch out for too.<br /><br />It seems you don't get a paper ticket these days.<br /><br />Has anyone filled out a ESTA visa waiver form? I'm just wondering what sort of details I need.<br />
  • on 1476302566:
    <br />Yes, Skyscanner is good and it also helps you find the cheapest days - you can filter to get a month's view and it shows it like a graph.<br /><br />Also try Flight Centre.<br /><br />....but be warned - quite often you can see a cheap flight, but then if you go back to the same site the next day it has gone up, so if you do see a good deal, snap it up !<br /><br />When my nephew went to NZ, they found it cheaper to go from Manchester to Dublin and then on to NZ. <br />You might find the same for Seattle, going via Dublin - worth checking it out.<br />
    <br /><br />I see what you mean about prices - they're back up to ?650 again.<br />Flight Centre doesn't seem to to Aberdeen.<br /><br />Had a look at Lastminute, prices seemed about the same as Skyscanner, so looks like rather than trying different websites it might be better just to keep trying Skyscanner as the prices are different nearly every time.<br />I think the best times may be filling up, so I need to think about booking something soon.
  • Having looked up and booked lots of flights for the kids when they all went off on their various gap-year travels, I came to the conclusion that cookies have something to do with it !<br />I think if you search for a flight and don't do anything, and then go back to the same site and repeat the search, they remember you and the price goes up !<br />Have found this with car hire too. Can search the exact same details the next day and get a different price.<br />The secret is, if there is the function, to 'save the quote' and then you can search other websites, but if you then go back you don't have to do another search on the same site.<br /><br />Another one worth trying is expedia, and go through your cashback site.<br /><br />It seems you don't get a paper ticket these days.<br /><br />No, you print off, and you can also check-in online and print off your boarding pass, so you can go straight to baggage drop at the airport.
  • I read that about cookies too but it looks like the theory has been debunked.<br /><br />http://journalistontherun.com/2014/06/10/how-to-book-cheap-flights-a-guide-to-skyscanner/<br /><br />All the websites basically look at the same selection of flights.<br /><br />I can be quite flexible on dates so I'm not panicking - yet!<br /><br />16th to 29th Nov. is currently my provisional dates (wedding is on 26th).<br />Intending to buy a suit there, my niece has offered to help me choose.
  • on 1476896871:
    <br />I read that about cookies too but it looks like the theory has been debunked.<br />
    <br /><br />........ but only for Skyscanner - which is good to know !<br />For actual airline sites it is a fact.<br />I remember daughter saw cheap flight with Singapore Airlines, browsed other sites then went back to book and it had gone up by ?100 !
  • It may happen, but it's not done by cookies.<br /><br />The prices are constantly changing due to all sorts of factors.<br />As the spaces get filled the remaining ones may well be priced higher.<br /><br />By searching using several different websites the airline may see that as a possible spike in demand.<br /><br />Just like selling books. If you had 10 copies of a book and had a load of enquiries about it, and other seller's copies were selling fast, wouldn't you consider putting your prices up?<br />
  • Via Iceland seems to be a good option for shorter flight time.
  • Ooh, that sounds good !
  • Weird - I just check Skyscanner and a load of American Airlines flights have appeared at ?332.<br />All 2 stops with long travel times, but I hadn't noticed them at all before, must have been a lot more expensive.<br /><br />Now they've disappeared!
  • Went for the Icelandair option eventually.<br /><br />Now working my way through the electronic gobbledegook.<br /><br />Done the ESTA visa waiver.<br />Luckily caught my niece online so I could get the info needed without the usual delay between UK/US time.<br /><br />Trying to work out what Advance Passenger Information System  (APIS) is about and what reference number I need to use.
  • My brother and sister-in-law went to the States with Icelandair. They got a cheap flight if they stayed in Iceland for two nights. They said it was a good airline and they really enjoyed the stop over in Iceland too.
  • I've always fancied visiting Iceland but I'm not sure if an hour in the airport counts.  Smiley18-1.gif~c200<br />
  • Hee hee, no not really. <br /><br />They enjoyed it and were glad to have seen some of it.
  • The Iceland route worked well. The Seattle to Iceland flight on the way back was only about 7 hours.
    Prop planes for the Aberdeen to Iceland bit, 2 hrs 50 mins, a bit bumpier than a big jet if you're not too keen on that, but I'm used to flying in helicopters so a prop plane is still luxury.
    Keflavik airport was quite busy, but still small enough that it's easy to find your way about.
    I only had about a 40mins stop on the way back but that was plenty of time. Wouldn't want to try that sort of time for a Heathrow terminal change.

I'd definitely recommend via Iceland as an option for anyone going to the US. It just looks more sensible when you look at a map, rather than flying to Europe then flying back over the UK again.
  • Back to booking flights again, I'm going to visit my brother in Thailand over xmas/NY.

I noticed some of the cheaper deals are with Kiwi.com, who only seem to do 'self transfer'.
    From what I can see self-transfer is best avoided but does anyone have any experience of it?

Seems more expensive than I was expecting, looks like about £1200 to get something without any really long stopovers.
    Tempting just to pay another £200+ for a one-stop.

Occasionally see some much cheaper deals (under £800) on Skyscanner but doing a dummy run on those it looks like they're glitches and not actually available.

• When you're looking for flights and then go back to the same site and page you will often find the prices have gone up from your previous search - so annoying.
    I guess it is something to do with cookies ? - ?delete cookies after each search.

Have you tried Flight Centre ?
    Another one to try is Google Flights, also Momondo - haven't tried either, but nephew who travels a lot recommended them to me.

We need to get looking as hope to go to NZ in Feb to visit son, and family - our new wee grandson.

• The prices change all the time as stuff gets booked up, cancellations come back, or they need to lower prices to meet targets etc.
    Exchange rates probably affect them too.

They all seem to use the same agents anyway, I see the same names like Expededia, Lastminute etc. on them all.
    I tried Expedia's own site after getting a price on Skyscanner and it was the same. I think I could get cashback going direct.