What are you reading?

edited December 1969 in GENERAL CHAT
Not a reading group, just a general chat thread about what people are reading.

I'm a few chapters into this:

<!-- m -->http://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Wild-Place ... 0224043552<!-- m -->

Not sure about it yet, it seems to ramble about in time, and keeps referring to other books of his.
Still quite interesting but not quite what I was expecting.

Comments

• Just finishing Narrow Dog to Carcassonne which I have enjoyed, particularly because I had a very happy holiday on the Canal du Midi in a converted barge and we ended up in Carcassonne. Also, the "Narrow Dog" is a whippet and, as Freddie is half whippet, I kept recognising peculiar whippet traits which the author describes and which explain so much about Freddie!!
    <!-- m -->http://www.amazon.co.uk/Narrow-Dog-To-C ... =1-2-fkmr0<!-- m -->
  • Just finishing Narrow Dog to Carcassonne which I have enjoyed, particularly because I had a very happy holiday on the Canal du Midi in a converted barge and we ended up in Carcassonne. Also, the "Narrow Dog" is a whippet and, as Freddie is half whippet, I kept recognising peculiar whippet traits which the author describes and which explain so much about Freddie!!
    <!-- m -->http://www.amazon.co.uk/Narrow-Dog-To-C ... =1-2-fkmr0<!-- m -->

I read that a few years ago...quite an enjoyable read too.
  • Yes, I will try his others I think.
  • I'm reading a gory Stuart MacBride (aren't they all??)
    "Flesh House"...and no, it's not horse meat that's invaded the food chain <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? -->

<!-- m -->http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flesh-House-Log ... 379&sr=8-1<!-- m -->
  • Not reading, but listening to Strangers and Brothers by C P Snow.

Never thought it would get me but it has.
  • Reading "Quarantine" by Greg Egan. One of the better modern science fiction writers. With this one he uses Quantum Physics, Schr?dinger's cat, and the Observable Universe in a story that is, almost literally, mind blowing.

Terry

I've just enjoyed The Governor's Wife by Mark Gimenez.I was shocked by the descriptions of life on the Mexican border.
    <!-- m -->http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... r%27s+wife<!-- m -->
  • I'm half way through The Chess Men, the third in the Blackhouse trilogy by Peter May. I've really enjoyed all of them.
  • Lorna said: I've just enjoyed The Governor's Wife by Mark Gimenez.I was shocked by the descriptions of life on the Mexican border.
    <!-- m -->http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... r%27s+wife<!-- m -->

In Mexico, life on the border is particularly dangerous for women and young girls; abductions, prostitution, rape and murder all are part of daily life. The police seem to have totally lost control of these atrocities, and the drug gangs that feed off them. This is not the Mexico Pancho Villa and Emiliano Zapata fought to bring into being, with many women soldiers, Las Adelitas, among the ranks of their revolutionary army. These women were not camp followers, but drilled fighters who took an active part in the fighting. All very sad what is happening there now.

Terry[/quote]

It's awful Terry. The no man's land in between the border (the Rio Grande) and the huge wall the US erected must be hell on earth. The drug gangs ARE the law there.
  • Lorna,

All this has reminded me of Sergio Leone's "A Fistful of Dynamite" featuring Rod Steiger and James Coburn. Despite the title this is one of the very best films set during the Mexican Revolution. From the opening sequence to the very end this is a compelling movie. If you have never seen it, or been put off by the title, watch it now if you get a chance. Here is a taster....

http://movieclips.com/uviRd-a-fistful-of-dynamite-movie-dont-tell-me-about-revolution/

Good enough quality to watch full screen.
    (You have to put in your birth date to prove you are a mature viewer. Americans. eh?

Terry

Thanks Terry, I think I'll order the DVD. The OH will enjoy that as well. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->
  • Lorna,

Make sure you get the extended version DVD titled "Fistful of Dynamite". Used copies on Amazon.The film was put out in the US as "Duck you Sucker" and not so complete.

Leone's "Once Upon a Time in the West" is also excellent. First movie in which Henry Fonda played a real bad character.

Terry
    Thanks terry, will do.
  • Just finished Julius by Daphne du Maurier.<br />She's definitely becoming one of my favourite authors.
  • on 1389871590:
    <br />Just finished Julius by Daphne du Maurier.<br />She's definitely becoming one of my favourite authors.<br />
    <br /><br />I've loved everything I've read by her. Have you read Jamaica Inn, Jim?
  • Jamaica Inn is next on my list. As usual, I'm trying to work my way through in chronological order, although I read Rebecca first.
  • on 1389873577:
    <br />Jamaica Inn is next on my list. As usual, I'm trying to work my way through in chronological order, although I read Rebecca first.<br />
    <br /><br />Just finished The Resurrection Men, Rankin. Bit blood-soaked but pretty good. <br /><br />Now reading an ancient Wilt, Tom Sharpe, as I'm trying to do something a bit similar. Not one of his better ones! I laughed like a drain at some of the others, but the 35-year-old humour has seriously dated now, especially the constant use of the F-word.
  • I like the Rebus books, but some are more bloodthirsty than others. I've started Tooth and Nail but I'm going to have to leave it as it really is much too gory for me. His latest one, Standing in Dead Mens' Graves was good though.
  • Barryyyyy! <br />I loved Blott On The Landscape which I must have read about 30 years ago, then tried another one (is there one just called "Wilt"?) but agree with you - boring!<br />Currently reading Guernica by Dave Boling.<br />Next on the pile is Greyfriars Bobby and then I'm getting yours :-)
  • on 1389906959:
    <br />Barryyyyy! <br /> and then I'm getting yours :-)<br />
    <br /><br />Hello Angela, how are you? Yes, please get mine; it's slipping away to invisibility at the moment. Porterhouse Blue is my favourite -- weepingly funny -- but he's a very uneven writer, I find.
  • Started 'Eric' by Terry Pratchett, working my way through them in order too.
  • We are having an orgy of Eric Malpas at the moment. I have loved his books for many years but Lord Teapot has only just tried one and now he is hooked too.
  • on 1389960783:
    <br />We are having an orgy of Eric Malpas at the moment. I have loved his books for many years but Lord Teapot has only just tried one and now he is hooked too.<br />
    <br /><br />Iwill look into him! Did you ever look at Laurie Graham?
  • I have a copy of The Future Homemakers of America winging its way to me from my sister in law who has read and enjoyed it so am looking forward to reading it. <br /><br />ps Should be Malpass with double s!
  • Halfway through Greyfriars Bobby but it's really hard work deciphering the dialect<br />e.g. 'I'd gie 'im to ye mon, gin it wasna that the bit lassie wad greet her bonny een oot gin I didna fetch 'im hame. Nae boot the bit tyke wad 'a' deed gin ya hadna fed 'im.'<br />FGS!
  • on 1391161559:
    <br />Halfway through Greyfriars Bobby but it's really hard work deciphering the dialect<br />e.g. 'I'd gie 'im to ye mon, gin it wasna that the bit lassie wad greet her bonny een oot gin I didna fetch 'im hame. Nae boot the bit tyke wad 'a' deed gin ya hadna fed 'im.'<br />FGS!<br />
    <br /><br />Having trouble with 'greet her bonny een oot'. Rest is just about intelligible. Don't think I could manage a whole book of it.
  • on 1391167630:
    <br />
    on 1391161559:
    <br />Halfway through Greyfriars Bobby but it's really hard work deciphering the dialect<br />e.g. 'I'd gie 'im to ye mon, gin it wasna that the bit lassie wad greet her bonny een oot gin I didna fetch 'im hame. Nae boot the bit tyke wad 'a' deed gin ya hadna fed 'im.'<br />FGS!<br />
    <br /><br />Having trouble with 'greet her bonny een oot'. Rest is just about intelligible. Don't think I could manage a whole book of it.<br />
    <br /><br />"Cry her pretty eyes out"?
  • on 1391168228:
    <br />
    on 1391167630:
    <br />
    on 1391161559:
    <br /><br />Having trouble with 'greet her bonny een oot'. Rest is just about intelligible. Don't think I could manage a whole book of it.<br />
    <br /><br />"Cry her pretty eyes out"?<br />
    <br /><br />Wish I was clever  :(
  • on 1391168228:
    <br />
    on 1391167630:
    <br />
    on 1391161559:
    <br /><br />See, it's easy really;-)<br />If you want something a bit more challenging, I suggest either Sunset Song or anything by David Toulmin ;)
  • Reminds me I picked up an antique copy of 'Johnny Gibb of Gushetneuk' last weekend.<br />I must tackle it sometime, it's a proper challenge, even for me.<br /><br />"Heely, heely, Tam, ye glaiket stirk ? ye hinna on the<br />hin shelvin' o' the cairt. Fat hae ye been haiverin<br />at, min? That cauff saick'll be tint owre the back door afore<br />we win a mile fae hame. See't yer belly-ban' be ticht aneuch<br />noo. Woo, lassie! Man, ye been makin' a hantle mair adee<br />about blaikin that graith o' yours, an' kaimin the mear's tail,<br />nor balancin' yer cairt, an' gettin' the things packit in till't."<br />"Sang, that's nae vera easy deen, I can tell ye, wi' sic a<br />mengyie o' them. Faur'll aw pit the puckle girss to the<br />mear?"<br />"Ou, fat's the eese o' that lang stoups ahin, aw wud like<br />tae ken? Lay that bit bauk across, an' syne tak' the aul'<br />pleuch ryn there, an' wup it ticht atween the stays; we canna<br />hae the beast's maet trachel't amo' their feet. Foo muckle<br />corn pat ye in?"<br />"Four lippies ? gweed mizzour ? will that dee?"<br />"We'se lat it be deein. Is their trock a' in noo, I<br />won'er?"<br />"Nyod, seerly it is."<br /><br />I present that as my argument that Doric is more a language than a dialect.
  • on 1391168847:
    <br />
    on 1391168228:
    <br />
    on 1391167630:
    <br />
    on 1391161559:
    <br /><br />Wish I was clever  :(<br />
    <br />Or Scottish :-)
  • I can hear John Laurie's voice in my head reciting that......lovely! ( even though I only understand about 1 word in 10 ).