Comments

• Well I don't know about cassettes but on one of the high streets on the borders between my town and the next someone has just opened up an independent record shop selling and buying used records and it seems to be doing well - it is in the right sort of area - we will have to see how it goes.

Just up the road from there someone opened a second hand book shop a few years ago - they used to sell on Amazon but had had enough - and that is still going.

• Proper book sales continue to survive, at least in Bridport, which has a Waterstones and two independant second hand book shops, all of whch seem to be doing well because they've been here as long as we have, which is exactly five years today.

• I recently dug out a sack of cassettes to see if they were worth anything, some initial checking suggests some are.
    Bundles of decent brand used blanks seem to sell too.

• Started going through my sack of cassettes.
    Came to Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon.
    Seems to be huge interest in collecting these.

Looking at some of the specific variations on Discogs I'm seeing things like 'Have: 0, Want: 78'.

Will try a few on eBay & see if I get any sales. I suspect I could buy boxfuls of them at bootsales or from charity shops for pennies.

• Well my cassette seems to be worth considerably more than the common CD version.
    Looks like about £10 for the cassette, CD is in pennydom.

• Wonder what I should price this at.
    Doesn't seem to be any for sale, 10 wants on discogs. My copy is numbered 100/2000 so an early one.

https://www.discogs.com/Roy-Harper-Born-In-Captivity-II-Live/release/8764176

• A few years ago I sold a Capercaillie cassette 'Cascade' (their first album, not on CD, only vinyl and cassette) for about £75. I acquired another one but it hasn't sold - maybe need to start lowering the price .
    Do Discogs pay reasonable prices ? Do you sell on there ?

• I shall have to dig out mine that are listed on Amazon and relist them on Ebay.
    I think I have some new,sealed blanks also.

• I've never listed on Discogs but it's great for research. Prices on there don't seem great for common vinyl (speaking as a seller).

I nearly threw this K-tel compilation out.
    https://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-The-Best-Of-Bowie/release/5047963

• Funny you should pick that one. We are going to watch a programme of Bowie in his early years tonight. It was aired on Friday. From an article it is supposed to be David Bowie's uncool years.

• I worked with one of his early collaborators.

http://www.johnhutchhutchinson.co.uk/jazzhutch.html

• Jill here is a link to the discogs page for the cassette you have listed for £65.

https://www.discogs.com/Capercaillie-Cascade/release/2069293

It last sold (on discogs) over two years ago for 2.93 so your price could be a little ambitious.

• There's another one on eBay at £32.99 with best offer.
    I'd put it on your watchlist, it looks like they're reducing it over time.

Difficult with stuff like that, only needs a mention in a TV programme or on a website to create enough demand to sell the other two copies.

Maybe we should list our VHS there, it's near the top of my cull list.
    https://www.discogs.com/Capercaillie-Capercaille-Live-Two-Nights-Of-Delirium/release/4998798

• edited February 12

I worked with one of his early collaborators.>

That must have been interesting Jim.
    We watched the programme 'Finding Fame', last night. We did see John Hutchinson.

• I'm a bit stumped for a condition grading system for cassettes.
    When listing eBay offers the same grades as vinyl, but there doesn't seem to be any agreed definitions as to what the grades mean for cassettes.

I think I'll not use the gradings and just give a text description of condition in the listings.

• edited February 12

Another one - none for sale, 15 wants.

https://www.discogs.com/Groundhogs-Who-Will-Save-The-World-The-Mighty-Groundhogs/release/11310118

Think I might try some on auctions.

That's rare in any format. Someone on eBay is selling a sealed 8-track of it.

• I think you have to be lucky now to sell cassettes and VHS. I still have some here, but I do think people mostly order them in error, and as rare as they are I sold over 1000 VHS in a job lot on ebay relatively recently and let them go for £20. That was less than some of the titles original price. But the time they would have needed to list was unlikely to justify any potential profit left in them when weighed up against spending the time on other products. I still have a van load to get rid of tbh, along with a stack of cassettes that I keep coming across. I really don't think it is worth spending much time on them. Better to look for an easier to sell product.
    I met someone over Christmas who had started selling 2 sports consumeable products who - in around 9 months, had built up to 1000s of sales a month. Very impressive.

• DVDs, CDs and Books are clearly a dying market too, and not worth bothering with anymore ;)

• I used to buy book vouchers for my nephews at Christmas.
    My sister told me not to any more as they only read on their phones.
    Has happened with other relatives as well.

• I hate having to do everything on a screen tbh. It drives me nuts having to do all the accounts online. And I would much prefer a card index system for the inventory too.

• There's a thriving collectors market in cassettes, you only have to look at completed items on eBay.
    I just enjoy raking through old junk & finding valuable stuff to sell.

The problem with selling stuff like sports consumables on Amazon is you could log on one morning and find your account closed for no good reason.

• I think I'm beginning to understand how the cassette collector market works.
    Completists want everything by the artists they collect. Cassettes are small enough that they can collect various releases of the same albums.
    The first releases work like first edition books and first pressing vinyl.
    Sometimes the cassette edition can be the true first release of an album.
    (a bit like a paperback book being the true first).
    Any freebie inserts can really add value if they're still present.

Promo tapes by bands that went on to become famous can run into high hundreds of pounds. Many of these were sold mail order via fanclubs, at gigs etc. in their early days.
    That's the sort of thing I need to look out for at bootsales.

I have dozens of really obscure promo tapes in my own collection I need to check.

Quite a few bands are now releasing material on cassette again.

Classic car owners want tapes to play in their original spec. players ( I also find that's the same with 8-tracks).

• edited February 12

Completists want everything by the artists they collect.

I think you are right - cassettes as such are definitely on a long-term decline.

On the other hand, I've sold quite a few talking books on cassette since Christmas. I think that's partly due to the CD versions being practically impossible to find on Amazon.
    I've also sold a few music tapes by the likes of Prince, Led Zeppelin and Queen.
    All big names with armies of collectors.

I haven't sold a VHS for many months - I've dumped all my VHS titles save a few that are unavailable on DVD.
    I suppose we could be reaching a sort of tipping point where VHS tapes are actually becoming rare again, due to most dealers having chucked their stock and the small percentage of people who still use VCRs becoming desperate to find things to buy for their players.
    Even if that is the case, I somehow doubt it will last...

• As regards s/h book sales, I seem to have reached the bottom and am bumping along it. Last year was awful, but this year isn't any worse. So far, anyway.

• I'm not even bothering listing my cassettes on Amazon. Or my vinyl. Most of the VHS I can still sell isn't on Amazon.

DVD is definitely on the decline. I'm seeing things like 10 for £1 in charity shops, and a stream of folk donating bagfuls. I presume Music Magpie doesn't want a lot of it these days.

I overhead one CS shopkeeper saying they're lucky if they sell 50 books a week.
    That's a shop that usually has a good selection at cheap prices (several large bookcases and a storeroom open to the public, 50p each, paperback novels 5 for £1 sort of thing).

Annoyingly a lot of CS are latching onto vinyl and asking ludicrous prices for unplayable frisbees.

• The problem with selling stuff like sports consumables on Amazon is you could log on one morning and find your account closed for no good reason.

Actually - that is true of everything on Amazon.

• Yes, and it seems to be getting worse.

• edited February 12

True, I have a number of those 'DVDs on demand' from Sony/Columbia and other labels.
    They are burnt on to blue/purple DVD-rs rather than printed/pressed. I'm reluctant to list them on Amazon for fear that a buyer would think they had a bought a pirate copy.
    Example here (check the review from Skyhawk):
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Father-Bachelor-DVD-Region-NTSC/dp/B004CZZZDQ

• Shaz

It last sold (on discogs) over two years ago for 2.93 so your price could be a little ambitious.

Hee, it does make my price look very ambitious, but I did sell one for £75 - maybe when the cheapies have gone I might be in with a chance :p

• Well that is the principal I work on too.
    One title I listed in 2014 sold in September for £30 and I have sold 4 since then - price having risen each time - it is now selling for £50 within just a few days of me listing a copy. It is really hard to find though now.