DIY thread

I think this could be a useful thread rather than losing info in others.

I've got an annoying dripping shower. It's well overdue for replacement, as is the rest of my bathroom, but I'm wondering about a temporary fix.
Is there such a thing an an inline valve I could add to the shower pipe to the head to stop the flow?
I'm looking for some sort of cheap, probably plastic, valve that would screw into the pipe.

Comments

• Like this?
    https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/7845746/?grossPrice=Y&cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A--google--PLA_UK_EN_RS_Pro_Plumbing_And_Pipeline--RS_Pro%7CValves_And_Taps%7CManual_Ball_Valves--PRODUCT_GROUP&matchtype=&pla-463778506475&s_kwcid=AL!7457!3!278157561015!!!g!463778506475!&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwsuDr5_c3wIV55PtCh2WQQXaEAQYASABEgJ6r_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• No, I'm thinking of something that just screws into the hose for the shower head.

I might have a browse in B&Q, they're not far away.

• Annoyingly when I set it to UK only I still get all the Chinese sellers. It says UK on the listings but when I check their feedback it's China.
    Oh well, I'm in no hurry, China it is.

• I'm not sure if this shuts off flow or just throttles it.

Who cares when it's so 'alluring' :D

• my shower had been leaking for the last couple of years or so and I had switched off the water supply to it and stopped using it as a consequence. The supply tap also leaked. I asked my son if he could fix it on Saturday so he fixed the tap, then had a look at the shower. The leak in there had caused the earth wire to rust through so I bought a new shower and he fitted it for me yesterday :) Much nicer shower than the one I had before - best of all - no leaks. He also fixed a radiator that hasn't worked for ages, replaced all the washers on the dripping taps (broke a gate valve on the hot water while doing it but also replaced that) brilliant. Good luck with fixing your shower Jim but if it is as old as mine was ( 21 years) just get a new one would be my suggestion.

• If I was getting a new one I'd get one that runs off the combi boiler hot water rather than electric. A friend who was an electrician said there'd be some rewiring involved if replacing the electric one, as regs have changed. That would mean breaking out tiles (which are horrible anyway).
    I really need a complete new bathroom, I hate the state mine has got into.
    After staying in nice hotels with wetrooms and visiting nice houses in Thailand, I sort of know what I'd like. A wetroom upstairs needs to be done properly with no cheap shortcuts.

• Why a wetroom, Jim? I've never understood them. Where do you put your clothes/ dressing gown? In my head, I have them filed under kitchen islands and conservatories.

• You hang stuff up or put it on a shelf. There's usually a partition for the shower. I just like the idea of not worrying about splashing water.

• Urgh - wet rooms! Don't do it. Get a walk-in shower instead, then your not paddling about.

• I think what I mean is a walk-in shower but with the whole bathroom floor sealed.

• That's better. Wetrooms = Work of The Devil.

• .... other Work of The Devil items -
    Conservatories
    Kitchen Islands (unless kitchen is massive)
    Wood burning stoves
    Modern vacuum cleaners (backwards technology)
    Cars with no door key holes.(ditto)

Any more??

• Touchscreens on things where a button or two would do.

• edited January 8

I've got an island and a woodburner :#

Roll top baths :s

• Sock-pairers and sink plug parkers :D

• A wet room would be great - as for where you put stuff = you hang the towels up and pad in and out of the bathroom naked. If you use the proper flooring and put the drain in properly they dry really quick (IMHO).

• " you hang the towels up and pad in and out of the bathroom naked. "
    Great for when you have guests. And every chance of slipping on yer arse.
    It's a really daft idea IMHO.

• A wet room would also be handy for washing a dog.

• I often use one at another house and really dislike it - splash everywhere, wet feet, and of course you can only hang towels etc. out of reach so you drip all over the floor.

• A wet room would also be handy for washing a dog.

I used to wash Eddie in the bath or the shower cubicle with me (not in the bath!)

• On the whole I'm with you Lorna on wet rooms.
    They are very useful in some circumstances especially for people with disabilities as no need to step over into a shower, but general family use, no.
    Have stayed in houses with them. Someone has a shower then you need to go to the toilet and have to paddle over the wet floor, getting either your socks or slippers wet, or shoes leave dirty wet footprints in the bathroom !

• The very height of impracticality. :s

• Better not to wash. You don't get any dirtier after the first couple of years.

• Quentin Crisp? Or was that dust? :D

• They're more practical in places where you don't wear shoes inside.
    And places where you shower several times a day.
    I also found out they're handy for keeping ducklings.

• But what could be more practical than a walk in shower? There is surely no advantage to having the floor of an entire room soaked in water if you can contain it in a shower stall. What am I missing here?

• As long as there's not any sort of edging or barrier to stub my toe on.

• In my job in previous life I often had to shower wheelchair-bound patients who had a wet room.
    They had a portable, half-height 3-fold 'barrier' which had a seal on the bottom (like you get on shower doors) which we placed around the shower chair and it stopped the water flowing out to where we stood - reasonably effective, but not 100%.
    Before we got that I would take socks and shoes off and have a paddle !! ;)