Random car stuff

edited December 1969 in GENERAL CHAT
Saves other threads going off topic onto cars.

These cars always seem really good value, I could have seen me having one for a while if I hadn't bought the Golf.

<!-- m -->http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-moto ... em-full-10<!-- m -->

I looked at one in a garage, the boot is a reasonable size considering it's a coupe.

I know someone who had a new one in 2008, had it 3 years with no problems at all.

I really like the look of them, they look far more expensive than they are.

Comments

• Once my lottery win arrives
  • Friends of mine recently bought a fairly new used CRV & hated it so much they traded it in again & got a Shogun instead.

They had an old Shogun before & thought the CRV might be more car-like but good enough off road. It was the tinniness of it they hated most.

Here's another of those sort of cars that tempt me:
    <!-- m -->http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-moto ... 1006120323<!-- m -->
  • Different use for the CRV, friends were expecting something more rugged.

Economy and upright style are never going to mix, trying to push something with a huge frontal area through the air is always going to cost energy.

Honda is a strange brand - I've known people who swear by them, and people who've bought them and hated them. I've never owned one but some models do appeal.

I'm still not convinced hybrids are a good solution.
    Why don't they use a diesel engine in hybrids?
  • Just to say this Random Car stuff is greatly welcomed by me and I find the two temptations very tempting indeed: not least having recently down-sized to sharing a car with the other half and suffering withdrawal symptoms (like continuing to refer to "My car"!).
  • I think it was on the Amazon boards, before it died that there was a thread about the ugliest cars, so excuse me if I butt in here, but I remember a couple of years ago when visiting a nearby Nissan dealership when they took delivery of their load of Cubes - that surely has to be the ugliest of cars
    <!-- m -->http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=nissan ... ,s:0,i:163<!-- m -->

oops that could be rather a long link!
  • Just to say this Random Car stuff is greatly welcomed by me and I find the two temptations very tempting indeed: not least having recently down-sized to sharing a car with the other half and suffering withdrawal symptoms (like continuing to refer to "My car"!).

I'm enjoying it to. I have to get a car later this year as I am off to the sticks.
  • Expensive battery replacement is one potential problem.

It's not a problem for people who only keep them while the warranty applies, but if it's going to be a huge expense for a subsequent owner, it'll really hit residual values.
  • Expensive battery replacement is one potential problem.

It's not a problem for people who only keep them while the warranty applies, but if it's going to be a huge expense for a subsequent owner, it'll really hit residual values.

I understand it is several thousand pounds to replace the battery array. I'm certainly not in the market for anything that causes that sort of expense.
  • My garage man swears by the 3-cylinder diesel VW Polo, the circa 5 year old style. It's quite a big independent garage, in an area with many stingy farmers, and services a lot of older cars, so he should know.

He has a few run by members of his family, says they're as bulletproof as cars come these days.

I rattled off a few suggestions to him when I was looking for a car, it's about the only one that didn't get the sharp intake of breath response.
  • This is quite tempting.

[ebay:1m3aw680]111010452816[/ebay:1m3aw680]
  • These are getting really tempting as mid-life crisis approaches.

[ebay:1xazwezy]181085345175[/ebay:1xazwezy]
  • Very tempting indeed - although my mid life crisis passed years ago via an MGB!
  • Does anyone have personal experience of the Ford Transit Connect van? I'm still contemplating a sort of mobile beach hut/day caravan (DIY fitted) but the possibilities are limited by the available parking space. A high-top Connect fits the bill at 14' long, but I've read a few bad reviews.

I was reading that diesel particulate concentrations are worse in London that just about anywhere, even Beijing, and kill as many folk annually as the old London smogs used to do. The better the postcode, the greater the danger, being nearer the centre.
  • Does anyone have personal experience of the Ford Transit Connect van? I'm still contemplating a sort of mobile beach hut/day caravan (DIY fitted) but the possibilities are limited by the available parking space. A high-top Connect fits the bill at 14' long, but I've read a few bad reviews.

I was reading that diesel particulate concentrations are worse in London that just about anywhere, even Beijing, and kill as many folk annually as the old London smogs used to do. The better the postcode, the greater the danger, being nearer the centre.
    My brother has just acquired one but only a couple of days ago so a bit soon for a considered opinion. He did say it was comfortable though. I will ask him next week when he has had a bit more use from it, as he does fairly high mileage ( he is a gardener )

My brother has just acquired one but only a couple of days ago so a bit soon for a considered opinion. He did say it was comfortable though. I will ask him next week when he has had a bit more use from it, as he does fairly high mileage ( he is a gardener )

Thanks, that would be very interesting. Definitely a bonus if it's comfortable, which to me means that the pedals are where God intended and not offset to the left, which they so often are. My Citroen Champ nearly crippled me for life. I was never so glad to see a vehicle go.
  • love my vauxhall astra 2001. spent more on repairs than what i bought it for, mind. but it's so nippy and smooth! automatic.
  • I would have though a better day van would be the slighty bigger , and probably more than slightly dearer Mercedes Vito/VW transporter , the advantage of these is the parts for conversion are widely available

edited to add .. then you can be a surfer dude
  • I would have though a better day van would be the slighty bigger , and probably more than slightly dearer Mercedes Vito/VW transporter , the advantage of these is the parts for conversion are widely available

edited to add .. then you can be a surfer dude

The length is the problem. I'd go for the VW Transporter all things being equal, but if the vehicle is longer than 14' it sticks out into our shared drive. I only plan to line it out, stick a portable bog in it and maybe some side seats. Wife is a diminutive 5' 1/2" and I'm used to small boat headroom (a miserable crouch usually!) so a lifting roof on the high-top wouldn't be required.
  • Anyone got any views on the Nissan Note?
  • Thanks Victor. There are two for sale local to me right now. I have not had a car for over 12 years and I'm confused at what to purchase.

Added: I know I want space and folding seats and that's about all.
  • Seems to get good reviews and looks good value.

<!-- m -->http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/n ... back-2006/<!-- m -->

I see 2012 models in the main dealer up here for ?10k -that looks like a very practical car.
  • That's a good site, thanks.

One is just 8000 miles on the 2007 plate. Overpriced, but I can see why.
  • Ex-motability?

After buying a really low mileage car I can see the benefits, mine drives like a new car despite being 7 years old.
  • I thought that too. Haven't seen it close up yet.
  • I wouldn't by a Note for looks <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->
  • Nor would I, but it's economical and has enough boot space. At my age it is perfect. Heads won't turn and I will be labelled an old fart, which is correct.
  • The Rav-4 has arrived, and the hall has gone very dark.
    I've seen smaller aircraft carriers, still if we end up unable to afford the mortgage, we can go and live in the car. There's enough room for a wide-screen TV and an upstairs toilet.
    Or even a wide-screen TV in the upstairs toilet.
  • There's an excellent series on ITV4 just now following the Honda TT Legends team last year.

[youtube:1zo0rvyr]